Thursday, September 12, 2013

Bands With Similar Names-Very Annoying But What Can You Do?

I still blog under the name DJ Dual Core but I've been phasing out that name when it comes to my on-line musical presence.  There are actually multiple acts around the world with "dual core" in their names, but I knew I needed to do something different when I found out that nerdcore hip-hop act Dual Core not only existed, but were good.  In my case it probably doesn't matter that much because I'm almost unknown,[-2] but still, one doesn't like to be part of the problem.

Similar, identical or oddly-spelled band/stage names have always been a problem but are a bigger problem than ever now because of how we search for data.  It doesn't matter whether you are Googling a band name or searching within a web-based store, "Paris" is no longer a good name for a musical act.  Back when looking for a record meant finding the right section (by genre) and letter of the alphabet in record store bins all that mattered was that the band name was memorable.  Even if there were five artists of the same style and same name you, the customer, would probably only find the one you are looking for.  Either the cover art (which mattered a LOT more back then) would give it away or, even more likely, it would be the only one you and the record store both knew about.[-1]

The physical problems of distributing music on pieces of plastic no longer protect us.  I did once buy a vinyl LP by the Alter Boys when I meant to buy one by the Altar Boys,[1] and one by the wrong Stress[2][3][4], but all things considered, it didn't happen very often.  Now it really pays to listen to previews before you buy a download.  Also, having a name with a common literal meaning--not a good idea anymore.  How about one that is also a common first or last name somewhere in the world?  Same thing.







Here are just a few artists that probably wish they had chosen different names.

The Locust
Locust
Locust
Paris
Paris
Paris
Paris
Needle Sharing
Morgenstern
Morgenstern
(eMusic artist search for "morgenstern")
Detritus
Detritus
Detritus
(Wikipedia search for "Vengeance")


[-2] You don't know me personally and you are not part of the infinitesimal noise/breakcore/industrial community on SoundCloud.  Ergo, you have not heard my music.  Mail counter examples to djdualcore@gmail.com.  Don't worry.  I'm not holding my breath.
[-1] Remember, this is when music magazines, printed on paper (and therefore distributed very slowly), were a major source of customer information.  In the 80's and 90's, multiple record store chains published their own monthly music magazines that were close to Rolling Stone in quality.
[1]  This was a band I was relatively familiar with.  You would think that when I didn't recognize a single band member on the cover, the name of the label or any of the other, in retrospect, really obvious, clues I would have put it back in the bin.  AND THE PUN!  I didn't.  I wanted it to be a new record by a band I liked, so that's what I believed it was.
[4]  There is at least one more Stress, I believe an early sample-based electronic act that I think did some conceptual stuff about the persecution of witches.  They may have been English.

No comments: