Thursday, October 14, 2010

Fun: The Real Reason I Produce Electronic Music

I've been on vacation all week and have spent a lot of time working on music. I just added a spoken word sample to a song I've been working on. I played back the section I added the sample to and it sounded so good I grinned from ear to ear.

Even if I am working on something that is very serious, thematically, the work that goes into creating the music is still fun. I also know that for a lot of people music in general is a very serious pursuit and not to be taken lightly, for fear that it won't be taken seriously. I take music seriously and I hope to be taken seriously as a musician, but if that gets in the way of the fun I don't know if I'll find the time or energy to do it.

I guess I'm blessed to have found something I enjoy so much. For whatever reason spending time slicing sounds into tiny fractions of a second and rearranging them to create a new sound is just a blast for me. When I turn those sounds into something I want to hear again I feel like I'm getting away with something or that I'm looking the first human to set eyes on a unique geological formation.

I'm not suggesting that other people should feel awe when they hear my music. I'm just saying that this is how much I enjoy making it.

1 comment:

yrmama said...

"for whatever reason spending time slicing sounds into tiny fractions of a second and rearranging them to create a new sound is just a blast for me. When I turn those sounds into something I want to hear again I feel like I'm getting away with something"

And here you have captured the way I feel making my mosaics and weird hand-built pots and writing my sarcastic blog every day too. I feel like I am totally getting away with something, and that is a good way to go through life.