Friday, April 16, 2010

Ardour Is A Very Good DAW And I'm Excited

Have you ever bought a piece of software and had a slightly uneasy feeling, not exactly buyer's remorse but just and irritating doubt that it was worth what you paid.

I'm experiencing the opposite of that...or it is the inverse? Anyway, I'm feeling pretty damn good about learning Ardour. It is both libre and gratis so I wouldn't be out anything but my time anyway, but Ardour is a really good DAW! You can put inserts and sends exactly where you want them, route anything to anywhere and it supports every conceivable audio file format.

I read that Ardour's developers aimed not at GarageBand or the lower levels of Sony Acid but at Nuendo and ProTools as the feature set and functionality bar they intended to clear. Those happen to be DAWs I am not familiar with but they are solidly (with the exception of ProTools M-Powered) professional products. Ardour certainly feels like a professional application.

I'm still just scratching the surface but I think I see where this is going.

I'll be posting more about Ardour shortly.

No comments: