Sunday, October 25, 2009

Massive Album Prep This Weekend

Last week I decided I had enough music that didn't suck arranged and mixed to put out an EP. I thought five or six songs from the last year were ready to fly and that "Postcolonial Death Match" was the right name. The only question was whether or not it was worth it to pay for professional mastering.

I happen to live just a few miles from Catamount Recording, probably one of the best commercial studios in the midwest. It seems a shame not to take advantage of that. This isn't New York or London, so I'm not talking about mountains of money but recording engineers need to eat too.

Before making any decisions I started digging through the files on my computer to see what other songs I might have forgotten about. It turns out I had several nearly finished songs right there on the computer. Over a little more than a day this weekend I was able to finish arranging and mixing three unique songs and two remixes.

What it boils down to is that I have more than enough non-sucking material for Postcolonial Death Match to be a full-length album and it's good enough to easily justify professional mastering. My work is cut out for me. The next month or two should be exciting.

No comments: