Thursday, June 4, 2009

Shure SM58 drop test

A few years ago I wrote an article where I said this of the legendarily rugged Shure SM58 microphone.

Legend has it that a Shure SM58 can be completely submerged in beer for several minutes and still finish the gig. I don't suggest testing this, but it makes a point that is worth repeating. The reason these mikes are so widely used is that they are serviceable even when abused.
It turns out the folks at Shure think testing such things is a good idea.


Shure SM58 drop test at MixTV. Sorry I wasn't able to find an easy way to embed this video.

3 comments:

dodgystereo said...

That made me smile. Impressive.

karen said...

Wow. I've never used a mike that I can recall, but I'd say that's a good one. If you're ever looking for a stethoscope I'd recommend a Littman :o)

DJ Dual Core said...

I'm keeping my eyes open for a sequel where people in Shure polo shirts actually do drop the mic in a beer mug.