Friday, May 15, 2009

Guitar Hacking - Computer Hacking

I wrote this for my other blog but I thought it was worth cross posting.

I've been a computer/IT professional most of my adult life. I've been a musician since I was a teenager. I've known about 2600: The Hacker Quarterly for a long time and while I have never considered myself a hacker I have long appreciated what the 2600 community and hackers in general have contributed to all of us who use computers, information technology in general and the modern Internet. I have recently begun reading the paper edition of 2600 which has caused me to think again about the concept of hacking and why I call this blog "Hack Your Guitar."

I subscribe to Eric S. Raymond's definition of "hacker."

If you read the H page of the semi-official hacker Jargon File you will see definitions for "hack," "hack value," "hacker" and "hacker ethic." I think all of these are relevant to my approach to guitar modification and, if you will allow me the conceit, luthierie. Specifically, I'm drawn to definition #7 for "hacker," "One who enjoys the intellectual challenge of creatively overcoming or circumventing limitations."

I felt limited by standard guitars. Doesn't it just make sense to take control of the situation creatively?

Find and implement the elegant guitar hack that provides the musical freedom you seek.

No comments: