Monday, November 24, 2008

Personal History: List of Significant Music Purchases

I was born in 1970 and started buying my own music in 1982. I've bought 7", 10" and 12" vinyl records, cassette tapes, 3" and 5" CDs and digital downloads. I don't know that they say anything profound about me but I know they say something.

First single purchased: Don Henley, Dirty Laundry, 7" 45

First full length album purchase: Men At Work, Cargo, 12" LP

Records I most regret selling: The Who, Tommy, 2X 12" LP, early 80's cover art
The Alarm, The Stand, 12" EP

Worst album I ever paid full price for: Andrew W K, I Get Wet, CD

Album that taught me the most about music: The Clash, Sandinista, 3X 12" LP

Biggest masterpiece of understatement: Over The Rhine, Good Dog Bad Dog, CD

Should have bought for cheap when I had the chance: Talking Heads, Speaking In Tongues, 12" LP clear "picture disk" ($8 cut out promo, Record Collector, Iowa City, late 1983)

Biggest musical reawakening: Jason Forest (AKA DJ Donna Summer), To All Methods That Calculate Power, CD

Love I but glad I didn't pay full price: Fluffy, Fluffy Loves U, CD

Makes me smile when I see the cover: Debbie Gibson, Shake Your Love, 12" single

Don't know why I have not bought it yet: Pink Floyd, Wish You Were Here, any format

Best purchase of last two years: Neko Case, Fox Confessor Brings The Flood, MP3

Still don't get it: Matmos, The Rose Has Teeth in the Mouth of a Beast, MP3

Slowly starting to get it: Charlie Mingus, Charles Mingus In Paris, MP3

Fascinating but hard to listen to: Merzbow, Metamorphism, MP3

Can't believe they are the same band: Ministry, With Sympathy, A Mind Is a Terrible Thing To Taste (don't actually own them)

Wish their other songs were this good: Atari Teenage Riot, Sick To Death (CD, MP3)

I thought these cats played bop: Miles Davis, Kind of Blue, CD (also features Bill Evans and John Coltrane)

I thought these cats played jazz: Miles Davis, A Tribute To Jack Johnson, AAC (also features John McLaughlin and Herbie Hancock)

Band I own in every possible format: House Of Large Sizes

Album I wish my first wife had taken with her: ABBA, The Definitive Collection, CD

3 comments:

Hahn at Home said...

First 45 purchased: Killing Me Softly, Roberta Flack

First Album purchased: Bruce Springsteen, Born to Run

First Concert: Doobie Brothers (UNI Dome)

DJ Dual Core said...

Well Hahn, you certainly kicked my ass on quality of first record purchases.

I think I may have you on first concert: Sting, Dream Of The Blue Turtles tour, Five Seasons (US Cellular) Center.

Now, I'm not actually saying that Sting is better than the Doobie Brothers. That would be a tough call. However, the acoustics in The Dome suck! Just the idea of a good band playing in there makes me kind of sad.

Hahn at Home said...

It was mostly just a blue haze of smoke anyway, which might have been just enough to improve the accoustics.