Monday, October 6, 2008

My Psystar Open Pro Is Finally Working

Some weeks ago I purchased a Psystar Open Pro. The Open Pro is the big brother of Psystar's Open Computer. If you still don't know what I'm talking about click here.

When it shipped it didn't boot correctly. It never quite got to displaying the OS X login window or desktop. This happens from time to time with different computers and the solution is to run the restore disk the system comes with and reinstall the OS, drivers, etc.

For some reason Psystar stated shipping these systems months before they had a restore disk ready for customer use. I didn't get my restore disk until last week.

To make a long story short I struggled A LOT getting this machine going. Psystar is a small company and while their phone support is good, it is mostly available during bankers hours. I'm serious about it being good. On the occasions I had time to call them over my lunch break I got real answers and the techs were very polite and professional. I'm a career computer nerd and I know when I'm talking to one of my own kind. These people KNOW.

I have no idea what will become of Psystar and their Open Computing line. I hope they make it, but just so you know, these products are still nerds-only. The support just isn't there for normal people to use commercial hackintoshes yet.

No comments: