Monday, May 5, 2008

Stop The Presses! I'm Hetero-Normative!

In the short time I have been writing this blog I have had some very nice people link to it and or add me to their blogrolls.

This, however, is a first.

Lori of Hahn at Home, in her extensive blogroll, lists me in the "Hetero-Normative" section. Now, I don't deny being heterosexual but I am certain, quite certain, actually, that this is the first time anyone has used the word "normative" in reference to me. In Lori's defense it should be pointed out that she's in California and I'm in Iowa. She has never actually met me in person.

Still, "normative?" Clearly she hasn't listened to the new record.

3 comments:

karen said...

This made me smile really big :o)

Hahn at Home said...

I think most of the people listed under that category would quibble. Still, how boring would "Straight people I read" be? C'mon.

Then, you have the whole sexuality/gender thing...the potential for a million categories was huge, so they all got lumped in queer.

I already sense you aren't normative - for the record.

Having lived 15 years of my life in CF, I know what it does to a person.

DJ Dual Core said...

Yep, life-long Iowan, here. Thank you for understanding! :-)

Part of what I like about your blogroll is the categories. They are self-consciously arbitrary, which I think is cool and funny because typologies are always arbitrary. You might as well have fun with it!

I do get it, for the record. I am afforded the privileges of being white, male, heterosexual and middle class, constructed norms rewarded by society.

It's just funny to be called "normative" when I've felt like an outsider my whole life. And when I say "funny" I mean "funny, ha ha" because I do get it! I get the difference between normative and normal.