Wednesday, March 12, 2008

ObsoleteSkills.com: Laughing Through The Weird

There is no getting around it. If you are over 30 this is really, really funny. It may be funny if you are under 30 as well, but probably for different reasons.

ObsoleteSkills.com

It is funny, but it is more than that, isn't it? Maybe it has to do with the intermingling of technology, entertainment, work and identity. I mean, what does it say about me, as a person, that I both know how to dial a rotary phone and understand the role of non-reproducing blue in laying out paper publications?

I'm not out to spoil any body's fun but I am as creeped-out by this site as I am entertained by it. When I saw the entry on non-reproducing blue I was transported back to the newspaper my mother used to work at. Moments later I was in the layout room of my high school paper, complete with smells. This shouldn't be a big deal, should it?

That ObsoleteSkills.com provoked this much thought from me probably says a lot more than my memories of non-repro pens.

...and how the felt would sort of splay out at the tip...and how the plastic barrel of the pen was always just slightly lighter than the ink...

I also know how to do this:

http://obsoleteskills.com/Skills/RespoolingAChewed-upVCRTapeOrAudioCassette

No comments: